Wednesday, August 10, 2016

EOC - week 3 - Generation K

The generation I was born in was a very strange one. I’m not sure if you can even class me in one generation. I was born in 1995; right on the edge of the millennials and generation Z. It’s a strange time period because we remember what life was like without some of todays modern technology. As oppose to the majority of generation Z that was born with it. I was doing research on my generation(s) and I found out that author Noreena Hertz classified my generation as, Generation K. When I read up on this generation K it made perfect sense. The K stands for “Katniss” from the Hunger Games. “Hertz’s definition of a generation is a group of people who share hopes, values, and fears, and one of the things she found most alarming about Generation K is the profound amount of anxiety they seem to have. A lot of this could be brought on by living with and being shaped by things like war, school shootings, and the September 11th attacks, and the most interesting way that Hertz noticed this change was in looking at the books her kids are reading.” http://fusion.net/story/125950/generation-k-the-theory-that-people-born-between-1995-and-2002-are-in-a-class-all-their-own/

 I couldn’t agree more with Hertz’s theory of generation K. We really do live in fear everyday even though we may not show it. From watching the twin towers fall, to hearing about another shooting, not only just shootings but also school shootings. We are a very anxious generation that really doesn’t trust anyone. The past few years my family has been gearing me up for the fall of America, and how they feel bad for my generation. I’ve been living on my own since I was 18, I feel like sometimes I don’t get as much credit as I should for some of the things I’ve done on my own. But me its not expected, I’ve always had the attitude of getting things done by myself. I know my generation can back me up on this statement; we don’t do it because we want to, we do it because we have to.


No comments:

Post a Comment